Thursday, October 8, 2009

Jon Anderson: "It's Not Respectful" For Yes To Tour Without Him

Yes singer Jon Anderson says it's "inappropriate and not respectful to the fans" for Yes to tour without him. Despite recent health problems, he's fit and able to rejoin the band for their current tour. But they'd made other plans.

The prog giants are on the road with former Yes tribute singer Benoit David in Anderson's place. The lineup also features Chris Squire, Steve Howe and Alan White, with Rick Wakeman's son Oliver on keyboards.

But Anderson, whose serious respiratory problems forced the band to cancel their 40th anniversary tour last year, says fans who buy tickets to see Yes are expecting to hear him sing and it's misleading for the band with David to use the name.

"I'd actually been ill for about five years and it got to the point where I couldn't continue," Anderson says. "I had to take a complete break - and ended up having six operations.

"The band recruited a guy from a Canadian Yes tribute band and went on the road with him. I felt they could have waited until I'd recovered.

"I said to them I was available, but they said they were contracted to Benoit. It's a complicated situation.

"I think it's inappropriate and not respectful to the fans. People have bought tickets thinking I'm performing on the tour.

"I would like everybody to know that, as much as I wish the band well, they should not tour as Yes. The fans should be advised that I'm not part of the tour."

Yes state on their website that Anderson is not on tour with them. The band have endured a stack of lineup changes since they formed in 1968, with bassist Squire the only member who's always been there. But they've enjoyed their most successful eras with Anderson at the mic.

Anderon's currently working on three albums' worth of material, including a sequel to his 1976 concept release Olias of Sunhillow. He also has plans to work with Wakeman again soon.