Thursday, April 19, 2012

Robbie Robertson 'Saddened' Over Levon Helm Illness

With news breaking that Levon Helm is in "the final stages of his battle with cancer," he's receiving words of support from a pair of his Band mates.

"Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill," Robbie Robertson wrote on Facebook, explaining that he went to see Helm in the hospital over the weekend.

"I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together," he continued. "Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I've ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever."

And Garth Hudson, the Band's third surviving member, posted a brief statement on his website:

"I am too sad for words right now," he wrote, linking to an Alexis P. Suter Band performance of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." "Please continue praying for Levon and family."

Jeff Lynne's ELO Announces 2024 North American Fall Tour

  Jeff Lynne’s ELO is set to embark on the band’s final tour dubbed “The Over and Out Tour.” The 27-date trek, produced by Live Nation, will...