The members of the Who have denied reports that the band has endorsed a sequel to Quadrophenia, the 1979 film based on its own rock opera set around the clashes between rival gangs in 1960s Brighton.
Rumors of a sequel to the film – which starred Sting and Ray Winstone and became a cult hit – emerged in late May, with reports in the U.K. press that it would pick up the story 37 years on from the first and feature several members of the original cast, including Toyah Wilcox and Phil Daniels. In an interview with The Mirror, filmmaker Ray Burdis said he would be directing the film, based on the book To Be Someone, which he claimed had been given the blessing of the Who's Pete Townshend.
But Townshend, lead singer Roger Daltrey and Bill Curbishley (the Who's manager who produced the original Quadrophenia and, more recently, The Railway Man), have now rejected any suggestions they are backing the new film.
"Quadrophenia has an enduring appeal and will forever be the definitive mod film," Curbishley said in a statement on Wednesday. "Quadrophenia is a significant and influential film based on the Who’s music, not some Carry On franchise. Any follow-up to this film could only be made by the authors of the original and would need to be worthy of the name. This karaoke sequel announced recently in the press would be totally ridiculous."
Curbishley added that the new film wouldn't star Sting or Winstone or feature any words or music from the Who, describing it as a "blatant attempt to cash in" on the original's popularity.