Brand X, the legendary jazz-rock-fusion band that once featured Phil Collins in the drummer's chair,has reunited and the response has been overwhelming. The initial tour runs October 19th through October 30th, and numerous shows are already sold out.
Brand X are recognized as true musical pioneers who helped create an entire musical genre and influenced a broad spectrum of musicians and bands. From numerous fusion bands around the world, to even Phish and Dream Theatre, their influence to the their peers and the next generation of musicians has been monumental.
The origins of the band stem from around 1975 when future Brand X members were collaborating with Brian Eno on his Another Green World album. Robert Fripp and Phil Collins also played on it, and it got many people thinking. Their contemporaries include bands such as Weather Report, Headhunters, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jaco Pastorious and Chick Corea.
“Something unexpected has been happening,” the band's management explained. “People are coming out of the woodwork to come to these first shows. First we heard of a group driving from Texas all the way up to Chicago for a show. Then it's a group from Denver. A few coming from Toronto, and now we've got confirmation of fans flying in from London and even Berlin!”
For the reunion shows, Brand X features
* John Goodsall: The original Brand X guitarist says, “It's a better version now. We’re all a lot more experienced – a lot more skilled…And that goes for every one of us.”
* Percy Jones: The original Brand X bassist says, “This music takes us back to a certain space – which was really cool. I wasn't sure I’d ever feel that feeling again – and yet here it is!”
* Kenwood Dennard: Brand X drummer who’s also played with Sting and Jaco Pastorious says, “When we used to play this music, it felt eternal. We used to get into a zone where it felt so deep. Now that's exactly how it felt again.”
* Chris Clark: Keyboard formerly of John Entwistle Band (The Who), and Richie Cannata's Band (Billy Joel).
* Scott Weinberger: Percussionist who's done sessions with Adrian Belew, and live with The Security Project (Jerry Marotta, formerly of Peter Gabriel and Trey Gunn formerly of King Crimson)
Brand X will be performing material from their first three albums on these initial tours in October 2016.
Unorthodox Behaviour was a the group's 1976 debut album featuring Percy Jones, Phil Collins, Morris Pert, John Goodsall and Robin Lumley. Their sophomore release Moroccan Roll surprised everyone by hitting #37 in the UK charts in 1977. Experimenting with some Eastern tonalities, including a shimmering Sitar played by Goodsall on “Sun In The Night,” this is a fusion album with melodies. Percussionist Morris Pert banged on everything, including a few kitchen sinks. Robin Lumley's “Disco Suicide” is as catchy as it is clever. Percy Jones' galloping “Malaga Virgen” races with furious bass and drums – and remains a show-stopper live.
Livestock, the group's live album from 1977, was put together from gigs at Hammersmith Odeon and Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club, it shows that band at their most mature with finesse and macho chops rarely heard live. Robin Lumley has said that the entire Livestock album was mixed in one day with absolutely no overdubs.
October 2016 Tour Schedule:
Oct 19: Milwaukee, WI at The Shank Hall
Oct 20: Edwardsville, IL at The Wildey Theatre
Oct 21: Chicago, IL at Reggie's Live Progtober-Fest
Oct 22: Cleveland, OH at The Music Settlement/Bop-Stop
Oct 23: New Hope, PA at Havana Club
Oct 25: Arlington, MA at The Regent Theatre
Oct 27: New York City at Iridium Jazz Club (2 shows per night)
Oct 28: New York City at Iridium Jazz Club (2 shows per night)
Oct 29: Woodstock, NY at Bearsville Theatre
Oct 30: Newton, NJ at The Newton Theatre
For more information on Brand X:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Official-Brand-X-1715531621998359/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/OfficialBrandX