Photo: Brittany Ballantyne
On Friday, January 20th at the Hilton Anaheim Hotel in Anaheim during the NAMM Show, the She Rocks Awards put the spotlight on female role models in music by celebrating noted women from all walks of the industry.
The event kicked off with local talent Brandy Robinson, winner of the #SaveAGuitar contest sponsored by Breedlove. Singer and pianist Jenna Paone was joined by house band Rock Sugah for“I Like It Loud,” a song written by Paone and She Rocks founder Laura B. Whitmore. Featuring guitar solos by Gretchen Menn and Nita Strauss, the song is a declaration that girls can rock just as loud and proud as anyone on the planet.
The She Rocks Awards served as the release party for She Rocks Vol. 1 a compilation CD of 11 female guitarists released on Steve Vai’s Favored Nations Entertainment label. Vai was on hand to introduce the project and kick off the first performance from the album; Kat Dyson and her song “U Know What I Like.”
Additional performances during the night featured Victoria Renee, all-female tribute band Lez Zeppelin, Yasi Hofer, ingénue and sibling guitarists The Command Sisters. The highlight of the evening was the booming finale, featuring the Lita Ford performing her hit “Kiss Me Deadly” backed by seven other female guitarists on the She Rocks Vol. 1 album. Earlier in the evening, VintageRock.com interviewed Ford on the red carpet (see below).
News anchor Christine Devine and Daisy Rock Girl Guitars CEO Tish Ciravolo, assisted Whitmore with introductions.
The following women in the music industry were honored:
- Tracy Leenman, owner of Musical Innovations music retailer, Enterprise Award, presented by Rand & Cindy Cook
- Dani Markman, Director, A&R, Disney Music Group, Vision Award, presented by Christine Devine and Radio Disney DJ Lela Brown
- Charyn Harris, conductor of music programs at A Place Called Home, Motivator Award, presented by Asya Shein
- Beverly Fowler, director of artist relations and events at PRS Guitars, Spirit Award, presented by guitarist Kat Dyson
- Leanne Summers, president/CEO of LAWIM (Los Angeles Women in Music), Achiever Award, presented by Gayl Murphy
- Shirley Manson, lead singer from multi-award winning band, Garbage, Powerhouse Award, presented by journalist Brad Tolinski
- Karrie Keyes, founder of Soundgirls and sound engineer for Pearl Jam, Mad Skills Award, presented by Heather Rafter
- Monique Boyer, director, global artist relations/PRO membership at M.A.C. Cosmetics, Champion Award, presented by Samantha Maloney, drummer and Vice President of A&R for Warner Bros. Records
- Esperanza Spalding, Grammy® Award-winning bass player, singer/songwriter, Inspire Award, presented by bassist Divinity Roxx
- Rebecca Eaddy, marketing communications manager for Roland Corporation U.S., Enterprise Award, presented by Guitar Player Magazine editor, Michael Molenda
- Lisa Foxx, radio personality at My FM on the iHeartRadio network, Dreaming Out Loud Award, presented by Lisa Loeb
- Ronnie Spector, iconic artist, Legend Award, presented by the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus
- Sarah Command, singer/songwriter and half of The Command Sisters, Next Generation Awards, presented by She Rocks founder Laura B. Whitmore
- Lita Ford, legendary rock guitarist, vocalist and songwriter, Icon Award, presented by Nick Bowcott of Marshall Amplification
In addition, there is an accompanying silent auction live through January 31, 2017, which features guitars, music, audio gear, jewelry, spa products and much more. Anyone can bid at http://www.32auctions.com/sherocksawards.
Proceeds help them to benefit Soundgirls.org, an organization that helps train girls for careers in audio.
To learn more about the She Rock Awards, go to www.sherocksawards.com.