Monday, November 13, 2017

The Who Could Make Millions Replacing Elton John In Las Vegas

The Who are negotiating a multi-million pound deal to replace Sir Elton John in Las Vegas.

The band's Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are expected seal a deal to play The Colosseum Theatre at Caesars Palace for at least two years.

A Vegas insider said: “Elton is leaving, so the promoters and resort wanted to bring in an act of equal stature.”

The deal could range from £12 million to £35 million, depending on how many performances they agree to initially.

The band will earn about £250,000 a night. They previously enjoyed a short run which sold out earlier this year.

Sir Elton will end his 13-year, 450-show run playing to more than 1.8 million fans in May next year.

Promoters AEG and Caesars chiefs hope to have The Who on stage by July, blasting out hits including Substitute and My Generation.

The insider added: “Their shows this summer were a critical success and a sell out, with Roger’s voice sounding better than ever.

“They enjoyed the gigs and unique opportunity of a residency and were open to repeating it for a longer run. The talks have been going well and there is a genuine hope that a deal will be done.

“The issues are simply the volume of shows and total length of the run.”

Daltrey, who has spent a lot of time in the US this year, is publishing his autobiography next year and the gigs will be a good fit with the launch.

In August, songwriter Townshend said how much he enjoyed the intimate Sin City venue, even complimenting the number of female fans there.

But Vegas is where their bass player John Entwistle died in 2002, from a heart attack at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Townshend said: “I still think of him, all the fucking time."